Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Good Ol' Northwest

Something funny that I’ve realized going to Wisconsin is that the Northwest is very addicted to coffee. I’m sure you’ve all realized that there is a coffee shop every half-mile, and usually a Starbucks on every corner. I just assumed it was like that all over the United States, but I guess not. When I get coffee, I always order the same thing: a black-white mocha. This is a mocha that has half a shot of regular chocolate and half a shot of white chocolate. No matter what coffee shop I go to, they always know what a black-white mocha is. But as you go further east in the US, you’ll realize that the coffee shops begin to get more limited and the baristas don’t know as much of the coffee jargon as they do in the Northwest. The further east I got, the more I had to explain what a black-white mocha is. When I asked for a black-white mocha in Minnesota, the lady just stared at me with a blank expression. I realized she had no clue what I meant so I had to try and explain what I meant. I could tell she still didn’t get it that much when I drank the coffee she gave me and it tasted different than the normal black-white mochas I usually get. It didn’t bother me at all, but I just thought it was funny and it made me realize how caffeine-happy the Northwest is. It’s kind of pathetic, but I wouldn’t have it any other way. ☺
~Hannah

2 comments:

Maria said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Maria said...

You order a black and white mocha everywhere you go unless you at Dutch Bro's! Then you have to ask for a Jack and Jill, but wait they don't promote dark and white chocolate together...in the end you get a regular mocha!! Good times, good times!!